- Energy Transition: Projections of peak oil, gas, and coal demand before 2030 deemed ‘extremely risky and impractical’
- Africa: BW Offshore wraps up much-anticipated sale of Nigerian FPSO
- Senegal: European JV aims to revolutionize country’s power infrastructure
- Congo: Eni, Lukoil, and SNPC ink LNG sale and purchase agreement in a ‘significant milestone’
- Aramco CEO calls for ‘more realistic and robust’ multi-source plan in global energy transition
The Luanda Refinery will increase production to 1,200 tonnes by the end of 2021, quadrupling its current production of 300 tons, Sonaref president Joaquim de Sousa Fernandes said on Monday in Luanda.
This increase, which will reduce the gasoline deficit in the Angolan market by 20%, is outlined in a joint project between Angolan national oil and fuel company Sonangol and Italian group ENI, and its implementation is based on a partnership agreement between the two entities.
Sousa Fernandes, quoted by the Angop news agency, said that the new production unit is already in the planning phase and in the next few years the contract will be awarded and later it will move on to the construction phase.
The Sonaref president also reported that United Shine, the operator of the future Cabinda refinery, is negotiating with a banking syndicate to secure financing to build that refinery.
Completion of the Cabinda refinery project is expected by the end of 2021, with United Shine (90%) and Sonaref (10%) forming the consortium to which Sonangol awarded the contract for the construction of the project.
Regarding the Lobito refinery, the Sonaref president, who was speaking at a press conference on the occasion of Sonangol’s 43rd anniversary, on Monday, that it will be completed in 2025.
Sousa Fernandes said that a negotiation process was underway with a number of companies for the constitution of a partnership and respective stakes, and it is expected that in the first half of the year the legal aspects will be completed, and then the refinery project, which will be built by US company KBL, will be redefined. (macauhub)