- Africa Energy: Zimbabwe Mnangagwa's Cabinet meeting disrupted by power cuts
- Africa Mining: "Increased urgency to improve SA mine health, safety" – Mineral Resources Minister
- Africa Energy: AfDB to provide €229m for Rwanda electricity programme
- Mozambique Mining: Indian Sol Mineração to start coal exploration by 2019
- Global Markets: Oil Traders Said to Mull Nigerian Proposal to Prolong Fuels Swap
Akon, Senegalese rapper and founder of Akon Lighting Africa, has pledged to equip Sierra Leone with 5,000 solar street lights and 2,500 traffic lights to accompany the national electrification agenda.
“The commitment of the philanthropic organization of Akon will be of great help for the electrification of our country. It proves the impressive leadership of President Julius Maada Bio who was able to mobilize, in six months, the international good will to improve the daily lives of Sierra Leoneans,” said Yusuf Keketoma, spokesman for the presidency.
Akon Lighting Africa aims to support the process of electrification of the continent. It is already involved in several projects on the continent.