- Africa Energy: Zimbabwe Mnangagwa's Cabinet meeting disrupted by power cuts
- Africa Mining: "Increased urgency to improve SA mine health, safety" – Mineral Resources Minister
- Africa Energy: AfDB to provide €229m for Rwanda electricity programme
- Mozambique Mining: Indian Sol Mineração to start coal exploration by 2019
- Global Markets: Oil Traders Said to Mull Nigerian Proposal to Prolong Fuels Swap
Energias de Portugal SA (ELI:EDP) announced today it has acquired a minority stake in Mozambique-based off-grid solar marketing firm SolarWorks! for EUR 2 million (US$2.32m).
The acquisition was made by EDP Renovaveis SA (ELI:EDPR), which led a fundraising round for the target. Venture building firm Persistent Energy Capital LLC also took part in the capital hike.
SolarWorks! operates a pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) business in Mozambique and this new investment will help it expand in Southern Africa. More specifically, the firm is preparing to enter the Malawian market, EDP noted.
The investment is also part of EDP’s strategy for universal access to sustainable energy (A2E), which envisages making a EUR-12-million investment over the next three years. EDP will also invest a further EUR 1 million in social responsibility activities, it said. Source: renewablesnow.com