- Africa Energy: Zimbabwe Mnangagwa's Cabinet meeting disrupted by power cuts
- Africa Mining: "Increased urgency to improve SA mine health, safety" – Mineral Resources Minister
- Africa Energy: AfDB to provide €229m for Rwanda electricity programme
- Mozambique Mining: Indian Sol Mineração to start coal exploration by 2019
- Global Markets: Oil Traders Said to Mull Nigerian Proposal to Prolong Fuels Swap
South32’s aluminium business remains strong, with the Mozal smelter, in Mozambique, having produced a record 271 000t of aluminum for the 2017 financial year.
With the price of various commodities having improved during the 2017 financial year, diversified miner South32 remains optimistic about the aluminium. Meanwhile, South32 had approved a $38-million energy efficiency project at Mozal aluminium.
The project is expected to deliver a 5%, or about 10 000 t/y, increase in production with no associated increase in power consumption.