AIM-listed Lekoil, the oil and gas exploration and development company with a focus on Nigeria and West Africa more generally, has announced an update regarding operational activity at the Otakikpo marginal field.
As a consequence of this interruption, first oil is now expected to flow from the Otakikpo-002 to the Early Production Facility (‘EPF’) by the end of Q3 2015.
Lekoil has made significant progress to date at Otakikpo:
- All necessary approvals for the well re-entry plan were secured during 2014;
- The contracts for the Phase-1 Field Development Plan, which included a rig, well services and an EPF, were tendered and awarded during the first half of 2015;
- The Company had to overcome a series of significant logistical challenges related to road remediation and the building of a temporary bridge in order to bring the equipment to site. As a result of the work the surrounding local community have gained a significant socio-economic advantage.
- Prior to rig mobilisation large tracts of swamp land were reclaimed by sand-filling and land consolidation.
- Mobilisation of the rig equipment was completed and the rig mast was erected in preparation for well completion and production operations.
Lekan Akinyanmi, Lekoil’s CEO, said, ‘Phase 1 operation from Otakikpo is underway and we look forward to announcing first oil by end of Q3 2015. Safety remains our key priority and we will continue applying the highest standard to our operations. The Company would like to thank Shareholders for their continued support.’
Background to Otakikpo
Otakikpo is sited in a coastal swamp location in oil mining lease (OML) 11, adjacent to the shoreline in the south-eastern part of the Niger Delta. Lekoil exercises the rights and benefits of its 40 per cent. economic interest in Otakikpo via the Farm-in Agreement and Joint Operating Agreement signed on 17 May 2014 with Green Energy International Limited. Ministerial consent was granted by the Honourable Minister of Petroleum Resources of Nigeria in June 2015.
The Field Development Plan consists of two phases: Phase 1 comprises the recompletions of two wells, Otakikpo-002 and Otakikpo-003 with the installation of an Early Production Facility of 6,000 bbls/d capacity and export via shuttle tanker. Phase 2 covers the subsequent incremental development of the rest of the field with a new Central Processing Facility and seven new wells coming on stream during 2017.(source: Source: Lekoil)