- Mozambique Mining: Communities paralyze Vale operation on Moatize Ii ACTIVITIES OF MINE II DA VALE IN MOATIZE
- Africa Oil & Gas: Nigerian Gas Tanker Explosion Kills At Least 35
- DR Congo: Exim Bank India Finances DRC Solar
- Zambia: Largest Solar Plant Complete
- Tanzania: Cabinet to Start Talks for $30B LNG Project
Despite concerns over a mining royalty hike in Zambia that led Barrick Gold (TSX:ABX) to halt operations in the country, Bloomberg reports that First Quantum Minerals (TSX:FM) is starting up a Zambian copper mine. Royalties have recently increased from 6 percent to 20 percent for opencast mines in Zambia.
As quoted in the publication:
Kansanshi Smelter will produce 300,000 to 350,000 metric tons of copper a year, John Gladston, a company spokesman in Zambia, said today in an interview. The $1.9-billion Sentinel mine will produce 270,000 to 300,000 tons of copper metal in concentrate annually, Gladston said by phone.