- Mozambique Mining: Communities paralyze Vale operation on Moatize Ii ACTIVITIES OF MINE II DA VALE IN MOATIZE
- Africa Oil & Gas: Nigerian Gas Tanker Explosion Kills At Least 35
- DR Congo: Exim Bank India Finances DRC Solar
- Zambia: Largest Solar Plant Complete
- Tanzania: Cabinet to Start Talks for $30B LNG Project
Zambia, Africa’s second-biggest copper producer, wants to review mining taxes to boost government revenue after “inadequate” receipts from the sector last year, finance minister Alexander Chikwanda has said.
Mining taxes contributed 18.8% to government revenue in 2013, Chikwanda told parliament late on Tuesday.
“The contribution of the mining sector is admittedly inadequate. It is only fit and proper that the country gets optimal revenue from its depleting resources. There will be an appropriate and opportune time for parliament to review the existing legislation,” he said.(Reuters)