- Mozambique Mining: Communities paralyze Vale operation on Moatize Ii ACTIVITIES OF MINE II DA VALE IN MOATIZE
- Africa Oil & Gas: Nigerian Gas Tanker Explosion Kills At Least 35
- DR Congo: Exim Bank India Finances DRC Solar
- Zambia: Largest Solar Plant Complete
- Tanzania: Cabinet to Start Talks for $30B LNG Project
The largest tax payments in Mozambique’s history have been assessed amidst extra-ordinary uncertainty. Prior to 2012, transactions worth tens of millions of dollars were not taxed. This changed after the sale of Riversdale to Rio Tinto. But application since that time has also been inconsistent. Revenues from capital gains taxes exceed $1 billion, but these are “one-off” payments that companies will claim back when production begins. The revenues seem large now, but are small in comparison the possible benefits from renegotiating core terms (such as royalties) in the very generous Rovuma contracts.
Read more at: http://www.cip.org.mz/cipdoc/307_Spinformacao_2014_04_en.pdf